English (United Kingdom)French (Fr)
17th January 09 - Orcadas Station PDF Print E-mail

The South Orkney Islands are a group of islands in the Southern Ocean. The Orkneys have been part of the British Antarctic Territory since 1962, and prior to this the islands were a Falkland Islands Dependency. Under the Antarctic Treaty 1959 however, the Islands' sovereignty is neither recognized nor disputed by the signatories and they are free for use by any signatory for non-military use. Therefore, there is an overlap of jurisdiction, since the islands are also part of Argentina's province of Tierra del Fuego.

Argentina’s Orcadas Station lies on Laurie Island on the South Orkney Islands. It has been open since 1903 and is the longest continually-operated station in Antarctica. It typically accommodates 14 personnel in winter and up to 45 in summer. Research conducted from this station focuses on glaciology (both continental and sea ice zone) and seismology, meteorological observations are also recorded.
An old British Antarctic Survey (BAS) hut still exists at Cape Geddes on Laurie Island. This was Station C, referred to as Cardinall House after Sir Alan Cardinall, Governor of the Falkland Islands in 1946. The station was operational in 1946-7 and closed when Signy Island base (Station H) was established. The hut was scheduled for removal in 2007 but due to concern over disturbing the penguins, this activity has been postponed.